Friday, April 18, 2008

Apple

So a lot of people are using Apple stuff, either the computers or the little pods and the like. I can safely say I am not a pod person. Now, before I go on I must say that if you are manly dealing with graphics or the like yes, an Apple computer isn't bad. In fact at most schools that I've seen the art departments tend to use Apples. This is actually the main reason I've dealt with Apples.

Now you see, I grew up with a PC. We got our first family computer when I was young. It had the old screen where you pretty much had black white and green, most everything was text based, you ran programs by knowing the exact command to give in DOS.

C: DOS
C:DOS: RUN
Run DOS Run

Anyhow, thats where I started dealing with computers. As a kid they had some computers in school and we always had a computer at home. I remember the 5 1/4" disks that were actually floppy and all.

Well, I have to say that the old Apple computers that were around at that point weren't that bad at all. Though in many ways they were similar to the PCs that were out. In fact in 1984 they put out a commercial saying that they would be different then IBM. It was a very famous commercial. If you need to brush up, you can check it out here.

Toward the end of the 1980's Apple was doing good, but things changed. Apple tried to keep up but didn't really manage that well, until they came back in 1998 with the iMac, and then in 2001 they let out the iPod. That is when it started.

There are 2 big things here. The first is that the ipod became huge. By 2004 Apple sound 8.2 million ipods. Everyone wanders around with their pod. And its great... for Apple. To play with your pod you have to use Apple's itunes. When you buy music on itunes you can listen to it on itunes or your pod. I've heard my friend complain that there is trouble trying to move a pod from one computer to another when you switch your computer. Pretty much Apple lets you borrow some music to listen in on your pod. And everyone should do it. Think back to that commercial, Remember when they said 1984 wouldn't be like 1984? Well maybe 1984 wasn't, but 2004 was. Pod people get to be nameless and faceless under Apple. And Apple will let you know, think about those pod commercials. The person is blacked out so you see an outline, and then they are sure to show you the pod. Apple would like you to know that you don't matter, but the pod does. Here is another little commercial to let you check out.

The next big thing is that Apple decided that the entire computer should be sealed up in a box. Your screen, your drive, your processor. You aren't allowed to touch it. When it is time to upgrade, its time to upgrade everything. I pop my case open to upgrade each component as I like. If I need a new video card to play a game I open the case and put in a new video card. I don't have to buy a whole new computer. The joys of having a PC.

Oh, and those Mac and PC commercials brought up another good point. They have one on their website where they convince the PC its not his fault because not everything comes from the same source. Its called breakthrough, go watch it. Now lets think about this. Apple is saying they are better because everything comes from one source. Meaning they are the only source for Apple stuff. Meaning that they can release what they want, not what you want. They can charge as much as they want, and either you pay the price or don't get it. Where as if you have a PC you have plenty of suppliers, they compete to put out what you want. The lower prices so you buy theirs and not the other suppliers. But Apple doesn't care about you, they care about Apple.

Now, Apple also claims that it doesn't get viruses, doesn't freeze and doesn't crash. I had to sure Macs for 1 class in college. 1 semester, thats it. And the Macs froze up. I got to talk with the guy who was responsible for them. He told me that he had seen them freeze and crash. It is just a computer, those things happen with a computer. As far as viruses, there haven't really been any for Macs yet. Macs also haven't been targeted. Apple computers run an OS. An OS is made of code. If you spent enough time looking at it you could develop a virus for a Mac.

Anyhow, I will stick with my PC. It works.

1 comment:

Saoirse Photo said...

lol i'm still getting a MAC for my next laptop honey :-P